Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Everybody says "Welcome To LA' when you move to LA

"Welcome to LA!"




I can't tell you how many times I've heard that phrase since I moved here almost two months ago (Yay! Anniversary! go ahead eyeroll.) There have been some pretty great moments and there have been some really sh*tty ones (I'm trying to stop cussing. Now THAT'S self-control. Try it. See?) In my short time since moving to LA, I've had my share of laughs, tears, sweat, dreams and a little blood (not mine!). So I decided to begin to share the journey because I can tell there will be more to come. I want to connect with other people like me who are putting their hearts and lives on the line to pursue their dreams in the city of Angels. I also want to encourage, as fluffly as that sounds and I am not a fluffy type, but I know what struggle is and how important it is not to give up. Today was just another event in a series of misfortunes and after I made it through I called my mother for support but was crushed. Again she yelled at me for my current state of employment, which is nonexistent, as if jobs just hang on trees and I just need to pick one. She finished by saying how disappointed she was because I have a degree from an Ivy League school so she expected more and that I wouldn't cut it in California. Good times.
But something strange happened while she was ranting, my father's words just kept running through my head. The strict, you-must-succeed-above-all father who I've had a strained and distant relationship with. My parents are separated and were never married, which is a whole different can of worms and issues. But anyway earlier in the week my dad had sent me a text saying: "You must perservere and stay positive. I will endeavor to sustain you." He's Nigerian and sometimes talks strangely, but I got the point. It's amazing how maturing over this last year has helped me to open up and work on my relationship with him. It's been a good thing.
Ok chick flick moment over. The big point is that it's about sticking it out and having people who will encourage you because a lot of people won't get you or your dreams. I hung up on my mother and let my father's encouragement strengthen me. I will perservere and become independent and successful and stop writing run-on sentences. I've only been here 2 rough months but I feel like this city is my home even when the Dept. of Transportation is towing my car. I still love LA and that's what this blog is about! It's also about film, movies, fashion, love, fights, UCB and anything else that interest me!

CiaO!



No comments:

Post a Comment